Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Why I'm looking forward to October

Reasons why I'm excited about all things October:

1. It marks the end of my first month in September, which I got through without any major mishaps, tantrums or breakdowns, unless we count the Blender Incident, about which we will say no more.

2. October is bringing me my first visitors, in the shape of four awesome girls I know from the UCC Fencing Club. It's doubly exciting because one of them is celebrating her birthday, and triply exciting because one is coming all the way from Rome! Hurray for fencers! There'll also be a flurry of Cork madness at the end of October, when two Hurleys will descend on Barcelona, one from Madrid and the other from Strasbourg. There will be much eating of goodies and talk of lovely jumpers, and how sometimes.. When you're not wearing a jumper.. And it's quite late in the year.. You can get very cold.. Strange..

3. This month I'll also be leaving my apartment for a period of longer than a few hours - I managed to get return flights to Málaga to visit my Uncle for just €20, so I'll be in Manilva with him from the 15th to the 17th. How the Malagueños will take to someone from Barcelona we'll just have to see...!

4. I'll be taking another jaunt away from my apartment the following weekend, when I'll go home to Cork for the first time. This is something I'm really really excited about. I never expected to be such a homebird, especially in such a wonderful city, but I'm hoping a trip home will give me a bit of a reboost.. Seeing my friends and family will be awesome, and hopefully I can head back to Barcelona with renewed energy!

5. I have to register my subjects with the University before the 22nd of October, so I'll finally be an official student here. Which will mean proper access to their version of BlackBoard, the Campus Virtual. Also proper access to the library, the internet, and I'll be able to enroll at the gym, which means a return to fencing!

6. One of the UCC girls here is going to turn 21 on the 30th of the month, so that will at least mean a cake and some tapas, and the day after is Hallowe'en.. I'm not sure how or even if the Spanish celebrate Hallowe'en, but I'm certain we can think of some form of mischief to cause :)

7. Lastly, as much as I love hot summer weather, October is a good deal cooler than September. That doesn't necessarily mean I can't go to the beach or anything (I was there on Sunday after all!) but it does mean no more ridiculous sweaty metro journeys and being able to get to sleep easier at night, which is always nice :)

Happy October everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment