Wednesday, June 8, 2011

33 weeks down, 3 to go..

This day three weeks time, with any luck, I envisage myself sitting in an adirondack chair on the deck of a lovely house in the Alps, enjoying the sunset behind the mountains and the company of my family. As appealing as this image is, at the same time it means that I only have a mere 21 days of my Erasmus experience remaining.

It's been a whirl of year in more ways than one, a year of first times and difficult times and sad times and happy times, but there'll be more in the way of reflections after I actually leave Barcelona. For now, inspired by those that occasionally appear on McSweeney's, I wanted to make a few lists.

Things I will miss about Barcelona
  • Lovely friends.
  • Living on my own and making all my own decisions.
  • Cycling everywhere.
  • Speaking, listening to, reading and writing Spanish.
  • The weather.
  • Being so near the sea.
  • Tapas.
  • Sangría.
  • How cheap everything is.
  • How beautiful everything is.
  • How crazy everything is.
Things I will not miss about Barcelona
  • Feeling guilty about speaking English so much.
  • Alien baby who lives downstairs crying all the time.
  • Lady who is always on the phone in nearby apartment and feels the need to shout.
  • People in nearby apartments who watch ridiculously loud TV ridiculously late at night.
  • How backwards everything can be.
  • Crazy apartment.
  • TEFL class.
  • Useless Translation class.
  • Hola guapa, ¿masaje?
  • Beercervezafantacocacolaaguacoldwaterbeer...
  • ¡¡¡Flashflashy blingblingbling!!!
  • ¿Mojito?
  • ¿Samosa?
  • ¿Coconut?
  • Beautifulbeautiful tattoos.....¿marijuana?
Things I am looking forward to about home
  • Lovely friends.
  • Lovely family.
  • Lovely house.
  • The use of a car.
  • The use of English.
  • How straightforward things are.
  • The Franciscan Well - The Bróg - Fast Al's/Hillbilly's evenings.
  • Electric Picnic.
  • Actual picnics.
Things I am not looking forward to about home
  • Final year.
  • The number 8 bus.
  • The number 5 bus.
  • The rain.
  • The wind.
  • How expensive everything is.
  • Lovely friends being on holidays.
  • The recession.


No comments:

Post a Comment